Background





11.18.2010

"For it is in Giving that We Receive."

"Tony arrived at Tara Hall late one night with a DSS caseworker from Columbia, SC. He was seven years old, skinny, scrawny, hungry, and filthy dirty. The police in Columbia had found him in a car by the side of the road with his two drunken parents. They had been drunk most of Tony's life. In fact, his mother stayed drunk while pregnant with Tony and as a result, he was born with Fetal Alcohol Syndrome."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
How sad is what you just read?! In a minute I will give you the website so that you can find out what happens to Tony and a few other guys like him!
First let me say that this is totally legit and NOT a chain letter! :) Below is a post from a friend of mine named Chance from my high school in Conway. Let me also say that he did not ask me to post this but after reading what he said on Facebook, with his permission I felt like I needed to re-post it in hopes that it would reach even more people who get the same feeling I did when reading it and will want to help. I know that my family does something similar to this now instead of gift exchanges at our big family Christmas gathering but to me there is a different feeling I get when reading this....Maybe because Chance speaks from personal experience and that makes it more "real" -- I don't know but either way-Please read what he has to say and if you need more info you can comment or email me at ThoughtsUncorked@gmail.com and I will be sure to get it to you! Read below! ~FR
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
OK, guys I have been thinking lately, my wife asked me what I wanted for Christmas and I have been thinking bout this for like 3 weeks and was hesitant to post this but I am going to post it an just see where it goes…
There is a Boys home in Georgetown SC, you can go to their website at http://www.tarahall.org/and check it out. I was in that home for 2 years as a boy and if not for this organization I'd probably be dead or in jail to be quite honest, that's no lie.


Anyways I'm not getting into my story but I do want to tell you about theirs, they have a lot of boys out there that have been in trouble, abused, abandoned, or whatever the case may be (when I was there I was a trouble maker lol), and they run completely off donations. They receive no money from the government.
I called the Director Jim Dumm, he was there when I was, and he gave me the ok to do this for them. He said at Christmas they get a ton of toys for the kids, however they're low on money, they do have to feed the boys and pay the bills out there.


So I was thinking hmmmmm I have like 304 people on my friends list on Facebook, If I just got half of them which would be 152 people to volunteer $3.00 that would be $456.00 we could give these guys! Every year they have a Christmas party at a place called Jamaica Joes in NMB, I would present the check there, and would post pictures later on Facebook, heck you could come out and show your support if you wanted. I'll probably take my boys maybe it will show them they need to appreciate what they got, cause if they see all the kids it will make them appreciative. My little boy has to be reminded of that every once in a while lol. They did the same Christmas party when I was a kid.


Problem is how do we get the money from 152 different people, the best solution I could come up with is, you writing out a $3.00 check to Tara Hall Home For Boys, and I could just give them all to Jim Dumm.
If anybody has any other suggestions let me know, I would like to do this every year in the future, this is my first year so it's a learning process.


Guys lets do it, man these kids do not have a nice home like you and your kids have and they certainly not with their family like you and I, what's $3.00?! You spend that on a soda and a pack of crackers! $3.00 from one person ain't much but when you got 300 people doing it, it becomes a big deal, and can make a huge impact!
If you want to get on board with me inbox me. Ill even start the donations off by laying down a $100. Lets get it guys!
-Chance
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ok back to me now - See why I wanted to post it? How awesome is that?! Just think - you can probably find $3.00 around your car, the bottom of your purse, under you couch cushions!
Like I said, if you want to help out--let me know and I will get your gift to him or you can send a check directly to:
Chance Cooper 3302 Wall Lane Conway SC 29527
*Remember write it out to Tara Hall Home For Boys.
Please visit the website - if you click "The Boys" you can finish reading about Tony and read the stories of a few others and where they are now!
I also learned from the site that Tara Hall operates continually at or near its capacity of 24 boys....that is 24 mouths to feed of growing young men and 24 bodies to keep warm - so please think about helping if you are able! :)

I Love this time of year!!

xoxo,
Faith

No comments:

Post a Comment