Background





11.04.2010

Undefeated

As much as I enjoy reading, I have somehow never ran across this poem-someone told me about it last night so I read it and thought about it a few times today. To better understand its meaning I researched other peoples thoughts and that led me to come up with a few of my own to-whether I am right or wrong it has a great meaning to me, but you don't have to agree, we can each have our own interpretation!

Invictus
Out of the night that covers me,
Black as the Pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.


Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.


It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.


~William Ernest Henley


In the first stanza he seems to be experiencing some kind of despair, or a dark moment in life and he prays. However, (this is my favorite part) he doesnt pray for Strength to continue but rather gives thanks for the Strength he has had in the past.This reminds me of the song lyrics "Praise Him in the storm".

The second stanza it appears he has overcome his despair and he is able to admit that he did have a tough time in life, yet he was able to bravely overcome it!

The third stanza makes me think he is referring to death "Beyond this place of wrath and tears" his "suffering" has come to an end for good. Even though he overcame suffering in stanza two, we all know that life is full of ups and downs but death is the end of the roller coaster ride. He is not being morbid but showing that he is brave enough to continue in life, good or bad, because he knows that it does come to an end one day, and he is not afraid.

The fourth stanza really throws me for a loop but it seems to be a follow up from the third stanza explaining that once death comes, you have the "strait gates" of Heaven to enter through but he accepts whatever judgement he has to face. The author is an atheist so the last two lines basically say he is in charge of his own fate and his own destiny which is so confusing to me based on some of the other points he made.

Even though I am definitely not sure if any of my interpretation of this is correct - the point that it made to me is that through the good and the bad remain strong and continue fighting - don't give up...don't only remember to pray for strength going forward but to remember to be thankful for what you have already conquered! Remember to hold on to your dignity in any situation that life places before you and keep on moving!

xoxo,
Faith

No comments:

Post a Comment