Background





4.07.2011

"Here He Comes!!!"

It is here...365 days ago today, Pawpaw passed away....It has also been 365 days since Pawpaw has been NOT been sick!!! :)
The day of his funeral I was standing on the balcony at the house just looking at the ocean when a sailboat went sailing by, it was so gorgeous, I actually ran and grabbed my camera and got a picture. I have seen sailboats on the ocean many times, but there was something about this one that was spectacular.
As anyone who knows me knows, I am obsessed with quotes and any time I can't sleep or have some down time I am looking up quotes....after seeing this sailboat I googled "sailboat quotes" and came across one of the most beautiful poems I have ever read and it could not have been more appropriate for that moment in my life!
During the funeral of pawpaw and a few months later of my uncle, I remember repeating over and over to myself  as if I could hear my grandmothers voice, "Here He Comes!" as it states in the poem.
At that moment, I realized why that boat of many made such an impression on me,(Never doubt that we each serve a purpose here on earth) that sailor, although he will never know it, on his way to his destination led me my destination of this poem!


"I am standing upon the seashore. A ship at my side spreads his white sails to the morning breeze and starts for the blue ocean. He is an object of beauty and strength. I stand and watch him until at length he hangs like a speck of white cloud just where the sea and sky mingle with each other.


Then someone at my side says "There, he is gone."

"Gone where?"
"Gone from my sight. That is all."

He is just as large in mast and hull and spar as when he left my side and he is just as able to bear his load of
living freight to his destined port. His diminished size is in me, not in him.

And just at that moment when someone says "There, he is gone"

There are other eyes watching him coming, and other voices ready to take up the glad shout -
"Here he comes!"

And that is dying."

~Henry Van Dyke



xoxo,
Faith

1 comment: