Background





2.14.2011

Young Love, Strong Love, True Love....

In honor of Valentines day, I am going to tell a Love story that is rather important to me! I do not have too many details, but I will share the ones I was able to get!


Almost 60 years ago in a town known as Hamlet, NC there was an 18 year old young man by the name of Donald riding down the road with one of his friends, just circling a local hot spot in town,
or "cruising" as it was called when I was told the story. As Donald and his friend were cruising, he spotted a group of young ladies walking down the street but only one caught his attention for more than a second! Donald quickly pulled the car over and approached the group and asked the one young lady named Jewell if she would like to go grab a coca~cola and she told him she was only 15 years old so she would need to check with her parents first.
Fortunately, for Donald, and Jewell her parents gave her the go ahead.Donald made his friend get in the back seat so that the pretty young lady could sit beside of him and they hurried off to sip on coca~cola.


These two were married not much longer after this day in the year 1953 and by the year 1962 their family had grown from the two of them to a family seven including five sons! The two were married for 52 years when Jewell passed away leaving behind Donald, her five sons and eleven grandchildren.


In the beginning I mentioned not only was this a love story, but one that is important to me as well...the reason this story is so important to me is that because of those eleven grandchildren that carried on the name of Donald and Jewell....I am number five!
My grandfather told me this story a few weeks before he passed away in 2010 this past summer...I remember one of my favorite parts of the story was when he said, "Faith, I did not have money to buy a hamburger or even that coca~cola but it was love at first sight so I found a way!"


Happy Valentines Day!






xoxo,
Faith



2 comments:

  1. Love this! The version MawMaw told me was that she first cussed him before agreeing to go with him :) But it was love at first sight!
    Love you!
    Carrie

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha I can totally believe that!!
    Love you too! xoxo

    ReplyDelete