Background





3.03.2010

"The most successful people are those who are good at plan B." ~James Yorke

"Do you know what I remember most about the good days?" he asked.
I knew he was referring to those rare days when Allie recognized him, and I shook my head. "No," I answered.
"Falling in Love," he said. "That's what I remember. On her good days, it was like we were just starting all over again."......
He smiled. "That's what I mean when I say I did it for me. Everytime I read to her, it was like I was courting her, because sometimes, just sometimes, she would fall in love with me all over again.
And that's the most wonderful feeling in the world. How many people are ever given that chance? To have someone you love fall in love with you over and over?"
~The Wedding Nicholas Sparks

I am reading The Wedding by Nicholas Sparks and this is an excerpt from chapter one that caught my attention and even as I continue with reading this book, I seem to find myself often pondering this portion.
Noah Calhoun was speaking to his son in law, Wilson and explaining that through Allies sickness (Alzheimers) he continued to read to her not only for her pleasure but also for his....the above passage explains why he also benefitted from reading to her from "The Notebook".

The reason I go back to these words is not only because I am a hopeless romantic and can only dream of the day 70 years from now when the love of my life adores me enough to anticipate falling in love all over again and again even after so long, but because I also admire the fact that in despite of having to see Allie in this condition Noah was able to grasp the postive, despite the challenges.

How great would it be if we could all be more like this? Regardless, of how negative the situation is; there is in some way, shape, or form...always a way to realize the positive if we will just take the time to step back, breathe, and see the big picture - we can discover it. This is not always easy, as I am sure that Noah would rather have his wife, Allie back to being the healthy lady that he married rather than these moments of falling in love over and over again....however, he realized he couldnt have that back so he adjusted his sails to the direction of the wind and was able to see a light through the dark.

"The most successful people are those who are good at plan B." ~James Yorke

No comments:

Post a Comment